Friday, January 4, 2013

Tooting my own horn!

This year, I have decided to go through the Bible in a year using a chronological daily Bible. I received the Bible as a gift from my parents a few years ago. I attempted to read it daily, but never got very far.

I had already come to the decision to start this commitment afresh when our pastor challenged us to choose a plan to read the Bible within a year. It was confirmation that I should definitely move forward. That same day, Ron chose to commit to a plan as well.

Ron is choosing a method that is more suited for him. He is going with three old testament chapters and one new testament chapter a day. He knows that if he goes straight through from cover to cover, he'll drop out within a few months. Right around 1 Chronicles.

I chose the chronological order simply because I love finding out who was where when this or that was happening. It's fascinating knowing that the events that take place in the book of Job were thought to be around the time of the Patriarchs. Wow! January 5th in this Bible starts with the book of Job! It also lists the lineage from 1 Chronicles when it is paralleled in Genesis. That, is super cool.

I decided, when I started on January 1st, not to post this goal, or my progress on facebook. I didn't want to come off as thinking myself superior to anyone, because of my achievements. Which is why I started this post on my blog instead. For you few that do read this post, I know you will not find me boastful when I tell you of my goal.

That is what I felt when I sat down to write the post.

Now, less than half an hour later, I feel prompted to do exactly what I didn't want to do. Post my progress on facebook. Because, if it will help even one person to turn to their own copy of the Word more often, then my "boasts" are worth it. As Galations 6:14 says... "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."
If even one person comes to accept Christ as their savior, that is worth it 100 times over!

I pray, Lord, that through the posts I write sharing my daily reading of your Word, that it strengthens me to continue on, that it prompts others to follow suit and dig into your Word daily, that it encourages people to aspire to the goal of your whole Word in a year. I pray, Father that this outlet might lead someone to see their need for You. I ask for your blessing as I take up your Word daily. Give me perseverance that I might finish well and know You greater. I love you, Father. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. What an incredible challenge. I pray, first, for your family as you endeavor this challenge. May you and Ron encourage each other to continue on with your reading. Second, I pray that people who see this are encouraged to do the same thing, or at least challenge themselves to spend a few minutes in the Word every day this year. It is by far the most powerful tool we as Christians have today. I am so proud of you, and pray that you are strengthened when you feel like wimping out. Love you guys!!! And, just so you know, I don't think you are boasting. We all need accountability, and posts like this can reach people who need to be encouraged about knowing our Saviour on a personal level. Will be praying for you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what was your goal again?

    We have almost gone 2 full months. What a blessing it has been, I think next year I'm going to go Jenni's route or skip a year and just do my day to day full up studying. HMMM, so many choices.

    ReplyDelete